We’re committed to operating in a sustainable way to reduce the impact of our business on the environment, while promoting the health and well-being of our people. We take our responsibility to the planet seriously, ensuring we make intentional choices on a day-to-day basis that inspire environmental awareness. Here’s how we’ve done our part.
Transportation & Remote Working
We support the RTD Ecopass scheme, enabling free travel to and from work for all of our staff via public transport.
- 67% of our people commuted to work by public transport, biking, walking, or carpooling.
- 11% of our staff were fully remote workers, also helping to cut down on our environmental impact. We also provide a flexible work environment that allows people to work from home as needed. Our office-based staff typically work from home 1-2 times per month, while our remote staff work from home 100% of the time.
Recycling & Composting
We follow recycling and composting policies supported by our LEED-certified building, and we also have guidelines, training, and signs to promote recycling and composting best-practice in our office. Our Environmental Officer keeps us honest by making sure we’re recycling and composting properly. Wherever possible, we use recycled office and kitchen supplies sourced from sustainable forests. We utilize our building’s services for the proper recycling of hazardous materials like batteries and electronics. And for materials not supported by our building’s recycling services (e.g. plastic shopping bags), we take those to off-site facilities that can manage them.
In 2019-2020, we received a Green Office award from our building. We also recycled or reused 89% of our waste, producing 567 pounds of waste.
Energy, Water, and Paper Usage
We provide energy-efficient laptops and programs for our staff and regularly turn off our monitors at the end of the working day. We also track toner and paper usage and minimize printing paper as much as possible. Our people are also encouraged to use reusable water bottles and tumblers.
- We used ~73,000 KwH of electricity. Taking into account our office expansion, which was a 58% increase in our space, we achieved a 9% reduction from last year. In 2020/2021, we want to reduce that by half, given our fully remote work situation.
- We went through 6,666 pieces of paper through copies and printing, which is a 31% reduction from the previous year. In 2020-2021, we want to reduce paper copying and printing by an additional 30%.
- We purchased copy and printer paper containing 30% post-consumer recycled content. In 2020-2021, we will switch to paper that contains 100% post-consumer recycled content.
Biodegradable, Chemical-Free, Organic Products
We make sure to purchase environmentally friendly cleaning supplies whenever possible in order to reduce chemical exposure in the office. This includes everything from unbleached paper towels and coffee filters to dish soaps and cleaning agents. For kitchen supplies, such as coffee, tea, sugar, milk, etc., we opt for organic, non-GMO, sustainably farmed products wherever possible.