We support a healthy lifestyle and want people to take advantage of programs and activities of interest that are aimed at realizing their optimal health. We recognize that healthy and happy people can help reduce stress and illnesses, as well as increase productivity. That’s why we aim to provide a healthy working environment and flexibility to enable staff to optimize their health in the areas of fitness, mental health, nutrition, work/life balance, maternity leave & return to work, and engagement.
Our goal is to promote the integration of fitness while at work by
- encouraging fitness activity during the day, such as making use of the free building gym during work hours, as well as integrating fitness information and optional activities into the company culture
- encouraging alternative methods for transportation to work, such as walking, biking, or running
- training on proper ergonomics while working and rolling-out standing desks
Our results in 2018-2019:
- 24% of our people took advantage of our flexible hours to go to the gym during working hours.
- 80% of our people had access to standing desks, and we will extend that to 100% in 2019.
- 77% of our people commuted to work by public transport (making use of their company-provided EcoPass), biking, walking, or carpooling.
We promote mental health and improved happiness by
- empowering our staff-based Happiness Team to arrange social events and volunteer opportunities
- encouraging the use of resources, such as Headspace and Gratitude Journal 365, for meditation, gratitude, and happiness
- providing a professional Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- encouraging people to be open about and seek help for mental health
We promote healthy eating habits while at work by
- sharing valuable nutrition information and education regularly
- encouraging healthy snacks and foods in meetings and company events
- providing natural, filtered drinking water and organic, GMO-free, chemical-free kitchen supplies
We promote work/life balance while at work by
- encouraging people to work regular office hours as often as possible and to take regular breaks, vacation days, and time-off in lieu
- providing a flexible working environment, allowing people to manage their own time during the day, and balancing work & life commitments as they see fit
- encouraging ways for our people to connect and engage with each other outside of the normal working day, such as happy hours, retreats, team lunches, and other team-building activities
Our results in 2018-2019:
- 7% of our staff were full-time remote workers.
- 29% of our staff worked permanent flex schedules.
Maternity Leave & Return to Work Program
We’re also committed to supporting our working mothers and fathers to ensure they can take time to be with their growing families and also return to work in a manner that helps them be successful. We offer generous return-to-work options that allow our staff members to ease back into work life.
Our goal is to foster a culture and working environment where continuous learning and development takes place, helping our people gain autonomy, mastery, and purpose within their role, to increase motivation, and enhance engagement. In 2018:
- We added 11 completely new positions, 64% of which were internal promotions.
- 35% of our people participated in company-subsidized external professional development through conferences, local sessions, webinars, and professional certifications.
- 70% of our people cross-trained in another area of the company to enhance their skill sets.
Based on our 2018 engagement survey, here’s how our people responded:
- Internal staff responded with an overall 88% engagement level.
- 90% of our freelancers rated their experience with us as “excellent” or “good.”
For 2019, our goal is to increase engagement levels to 90% across the board.
We also want to continue building positive, lasting relationships with our resources. Currently, 62% of our network has worked with us for over 5 years, and 22% of our network has worked with us more than 10 years.
We’ve received positive feedback as an employer and industry partner and continue to build on this via our people-focused business practices.